|THREE TRAJECTORIES FOR CHRISTIAN MISSION|
|For those who enjoy typologies, here's one I devised for a workshop on 'models of mission'. Like all constructs, typologies reveal our instincts. Have a go yourself and see! I have, needless to say, worked with developed images from the Christian tradition. There are conceptions of mission which are more pluralistic than any of these. I don't discount them. I think we need a dialogue of models and approaches, though I will not disguise the fact that I think the first one I've depicted is theologically and humanly inadequate...
You are meant to read laterally, by the way...
Style / Content Ethos God model
1. Pastoral Individual care, needs provision We do to you God with us
2. Diakonal Service(s) and partnership We do for you God among us
3. Prophetic Advocacy and change We do with you God for us
Jesus model Eucharistic emphasis Priesthood Orientation
1. Kingly Holy elements Received Tradition (authority)
2. Servant Holy tasks Shared Travail (pilgrimage)
3. Radical Holy people Grown Transforming (inspiration)
(c) Simon Barrow